Friday, October 25, 2013

Fatty to 5Ker!

Hello all my beautiful bloggers! I'm sorry I have not posted in a few days. Life has been crazy busy, but fear not I'm back! Even though my life has been very hectic this past week, I have not stopped working toward my goals! I want to share with you a piece of my awesome weekend. I got to spend Saturday in New York City participating in a 5K! Now if you are anything like me, I would have never imaged myself participating in any kind of athletic event. But two years ago that changed. My mom was diagnosed with Lupus. To be honest like most people, before her diagnosis I had never heard of this disease. But seeing first hand what my mom goes through and knowing she is one of the lucky ones, I knew I needed to do something to make a difference. Well, one day I had asked a friend of mine what she was doing over the weekend and she told me she was doing a 5K for Lupus! I couldn't believe it, I knew I had to go!! So my mom and I went and stood with hundreds of others all wanting to do something to fight this nasty disease. Let me tell you, if you have never participated in an event that so many people are effected by, it's truly life changing. My mom and I stood at the start line with tears streaming down our faces because we were so overwhelmed. Once I completed that race my life was forever changed and I was hungry for the next one! To this day, both my mom and I have participated in 6 Lupus 5Ks, and I have done 5 others for different charities. If two years ago someone would've told me I would have 11 5Ks under my belt, I would've thought they were crazy! These events have truly made me a better person! The bonus is it's great exercise!! So this past weekend, I traveled with my Mom and Aunt to NYC to complete yet another 5K for Lupus. The weather was gorgeous, and the event was amazing! There was over a million dollars raised for Lupus Research. What made me even happier was that I was participating in an event that is so near and dear to my heart all while working towards my fitness goals at the same time! I walked over 5 miles Saturday! I encourage you to participate in an event like this, not saying it has to be for Lupus, it can be for any charity or cause, but you will truly feel like you did something amazing!


My Mom and I in Boca Raton Florida 
at a 5K for Lupus! 

One Step at a Time!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment