Thursday, January 2, 2014

Virtual Lupus 5K!!!

As many of you know, my Mom was diagnosed with Lupus and stage 3 kidney disease about 2 years ago now. Before her diagnosis in 2003 my mom become very ill, and her kidneys began to shut down. I was in the 7th grade and I remember getting a phone call around 5 am that my grandma and I needed to go to the hospital. My mom had been in the ICU for a few days prior to this phone call. Little did I know at the time, that we received the phone call to come and say our good byes. Still to this day, typing this brings to tears to my eyes. That's my biggest fear, losing my mom, and here I am in middle school and my fear is becoming reality. Well to make a long story short, my mom was transported from our small town hospital to Philadelphia. She went into the hospital in June and came sometime in late August, early September. It was truly a miracle that she pulled through. It was the worst summer of my life. My mom couldn't walk, and she would throw up every time she tried to talk. Each day we would play hours of rummy to pass the time in her hospital room. I lived in fear every day, and never prayed so much in my life. My mom came home and was put on dialysis. My uncle would take her to her treatments, and then she would come home throwing up every time. I did the grocery shopping and learned at a young age to read food labels because she could not have potassium! It could have done severe damage to her already unhealthy kidneys. Like I said it was truly a miracle that my mom pulled through. She made a full recovery and is overall pretty healthy to this day. Her kidneys do not function as well as mine and yours, but they function enough that she doesn't need dialysis anymore, and we don't need to think about a transplant at this time. Sometime in the future we may face this obstacle, but right now we don't need to worry about it! 

Fast forward 8 years.....mom was diagnosed with LUPUS. Doctors feel she has had it for more than 15 years and was the cause for many of her health problems in 2003. Many have no idea what this disease even is. Lupus is one of many disorders of the immune system known as autoimmune diseases. In autoimmune diseases, the immune system turns against parts of the body it is designed to protect. This leads to inflammation and damage to various body tissues. Lupus can affect many parts of the body, including the joints, skin, kidneys, heart, lungs, blood vessels, and brain. (In my mom's case it affects her kidneys and joints mostly) Although people with the disease may have many different symptoms, some of the most common ones include extreme fatigue, painful or swollen joints (arthritis), unexplained fever, skin rashes, and kidney problems. At present, there is no cure for lupus. (From the Alliance for Lupus Research)

This past year, I also tested positive for the Lupus antibodies. Upon further testing I am not considered an active Lupus patient because my numbers are low, but the reality of it is, that some day, I too may be fighting this terrible disease.

When my mom was diagnosed I became very angry and sad. I felt as though she had been through so much already and I couldn't bare to see her so sick again. My mom takes medication everyday to help manage her joint pain and fatigue, which has been working wonders. She has an amazing team of doctors that I thank god every day for. After my mom's diagnosis I was able to take my anger and sadness and focus my time on spreading awareness about this disease. Together my mom and I have participated in over 6 Lupus 5Ks, and spent a great deal of time raising money and spreading awareness.This past year we flew to Palm Beach, and I pushed my mom in a 5K! She is truly my inspiration. She spends much of her time helping others, and often forgets that she needs to take care of her health as well!

I apologize that this is such a long post, but I hope it helps everyone to understand why I am so passionate about this charity. My mom needs a cure!!!

One of my goals for 2014 is to run at least one 5K a month! I have found many amazing virtual runs to participate in, and today I am asking you to JOIN ME and run one for LUPUS!!! The donation is $7. I will email you a customized race bib, and mail a Lupus awareness bracelet that my mom and have designed! All of the proceeds will be donated to the Alliance for Lupus Research where the money will go towards research for a cure! 

I encourage you to share a picture from your 5K on my facebook page! We would love to see you showing your support!

My mom and I have many ideas for raising money up our sleeves this year! This is just the beginning!

2014 WILL BE THE YEAR WE FIND OUR CURE!!!

We truly thank each and everyone of  you from the bottom of hearts for your continued support. Words can not describe how much you all mean to us!

XOXO


The donation for the race is $7

This includes:
~Customized race bib
~Lupus Awareness Bracelet
~Free Shipping

No comments:

Post a Comment